This is an opportunity to retreat deeply and enjoy the practices on offer (total yoga nidra, pranayama, chanting and more) in the context of the most exquisitely nourishing and wholesome off-grid eco-retreat imaginable.
Come alone, or come with your family and friends (to share for the retreat time with you). The option is there to take the full range of course material on offer and complete the Total Yoga Nidra Teacher and Facilitator training in full – or simply to enjoy the practices and the place of beauty in which they are shared
About the Training
This course trains yoga teachers and others to teach and facilitate yoga nidra with confidence in class settings, one-to-ones, and for a range of therapeutic applications. Uniquely amongst yoga nidra trainings, it offers Total Yoga Nidra, a comprehensive, inclusive and non-dogmatic approach to yoga nidra that respects and explores not only a range of practice methods, but also acknowledges a variety of different levels of experience during yoga nidra.
- Encounter yoga nidra in its totality
- Explore the multiple forms and levels of this remarkable yoga practice
- Become empowered to deepen your own intuitive practice of meditative yoga nidra beyond the limits of standard trademarked and traditional forms
- Understand the full living range of different methods, lineages and levels of total yoga nidra
- Experience total yoga nidra as a living intelligence of the heart, an adaptogenic practice of deep healing and self-discovery
- Grow in confidence to share responsive and appropriate total yoga nidra practice with students and clients
This training is designed by Uma Dinsmore-Tuli and Nirlipta Tuli, who together have over forty years experience of practice, teaching and working therapeutically with all forms and levels of yoga nidra, is a uniquely comparative and creative, experiential course. It offers both practical training and personal and professional development.
Please be very aware that this is what it says: an Intensive Retreat. It will suit people who would prefer not to make two separate trips to do the course in two parts. it also requires a willingness and energy to maintain an intense focus on learning and practice and sharing, and to work some long hours with early starts (teaching begins at 0830) and some evening sessions (there will be a nice long break in the middle of the day). The intensive nature of the training and the number of multiple nidra experiences during the appraisal process mean that this Intensive Course is unsuitable for anyone who has experienced psychosis.
WHAT IS TOTAL YOGA NIDRA?
Total Yoga Nidra is a comprehensive, inclusive and non-dogmatic approach to yoga nidra that respects and explores not only a range of practice methods, but also acknowledges and supports a variety of different levels of experience during yoga nidra. Total yoga nidra empowers you to encounter yoga nidra in its totality: as an adaptogenic meditative practice without limits in terms of its capacity to heal, nourish and liberate.
Most people who are familiar with yoga nidra have listened to some kind of pre-recorded audio track(s), but might not have had the opportunity to encounter the practice live from a teacher in a group setting; and although many people may have experienced a live group yoga nidra, where a teacher delivers a standard script to a group of students, this relaxing experience is very different from practising yoga nidra that has been specifically tailored for a particular individual, for example in a one-to-one setting. This experience in turn is different from the encounter with yoga nidra that comes during a practice that is co-created by teacher and student together, with the specific intention to meet the student precisely where s/he is right now, both in language and method of practice, and in terms of the level at which that practice can be most appropriately met.
And whilst all of these experiences of yoga nidra certainly bring huge benefits, an entirely different set of possibilities open up when yoga nidra is set free from the need to have any external auditory guide of any kind. At this level of self practice, the protocols for practice are so deeply familiar to the practitioner that when we simply lie (or sit) quietly, then the practice can be invited to unfold silently, in the voice of our own intuitive inner guide.
IN THIS COURSE YOU WILL LEARN:
- to devise and deliver Total Yoga Nidra practices appropriate to your needs and those of your students and clients;
- a clear practical understanding of the structure and function of Total Yoga Nidra, including models of best practice, and techniques to be avoided;
- a practical understanding of the key principles of yogic psychology and philosophy relevant to the practice of Total Yoga Nidra;
- a contextual understanding of the development and history of Total Yoga Nidra across different lineages;
- to share Total Yoga Nidra with an informed sensitivity to the emotional and spiritual experiences of those receiving the practice;
- to teach a range of restorative yoga asanas suitable for use during yoga nidra practice;
- to teach within the appropriate safety guidelines for this type of yoga practice.
TOPICS COVERED INCLUDE:
- Understanding the structure and variations in approaches to, and levels of, Total Yoga Nidra practice
- Clinical hypnosis, self-hypnosis and yoga nidra – a full exploration of the relationship between these practices
- Further explorations in history and development of yoga nidra: nyasa, tantra, Satyananda Yoga, Himalayan Institute, Richard Miller, Swami Veda Bharati, Swami Jneshvara Bharati
- Deeper explorations of yoga philosophy and cosmology in relation to Total Yoga Nidra
- Exploring research on yoga nidra exploring the value of understandings from neuroscience, clinical psychology, psycho-neuro-immunology and physiology in relation to the function of yoga nidra, including stress and the relaxation response
- Restorative asana: refinements on propping poses for yoga nidra
- Sankalpa: resolution and intention setting, listening to inner guidance, framing and using Sankalpa within and around yoga nidra
- Breath awareness /pranayama: specific use within the structure of yoga nidra session, and to support the practice of yoga nidra
- Visualisations: a range of different traditional and creative scripting options, contra- indications, appropriateness and therapeutic value
- Creativity and innovation: devising your own Total Yoga Nidra experiences; metaphor, poetry and grammar for enlightened communication
- Responsiveness: tailoring script to needs of target populations, bespoke scripts: utilising client images in yoga nidra
- Self-development: sample practices, support for self-reflection and growth
- Dharana: yoga nidra as an aid to improve concentration
- Dhyana: yoga nidra as the meditative heart of yoga
- Living yoga nidra: practical and effective integration of yoga nidra into daily life
- Total yoga nidra as a therapeutic tool
The pre-requisite for this Total Yoga Nidra Teacher and Facilitator Training is the Total Yoga Nidra Immersion Experience: comparative and creative forms of Yoga Nidra. This can be done as a nourishing weekend course at various locations – see our list of upcoming courses and workshops for dates, or it can be done as an Online course.
COSTS and GIFTS
Cost (in EURO) of registering a place on the training is €632.
This amount includes the cost of your accommodation in a shared tipi and all meals (€550 of the cost). It also includes the cost of your manual, bringing the tutors to the venue (travel and accommodation for the tutors), all meditational supports (flowers, chocolate, aromatic oils, candles etc etc), as well as required listening mp3s, as well as recordings of every yoga Nidra practice delivered on the course, for future listening and development of personal practice.
What is not included in the price is the cost of your own travel to the venue.
PLEASE NOTE that the cost of registering on the course is a payment to ‘make it happen’: it covers the actual expenses of the course… it DOES NOT include any payment whatsoever for the cost of the teaching itself.
At this event the teachings on the training are offered as a gift, and you are invited to make a gift in return for this teaching, in the tradition of dana – gifts from the heart for the teachings. This event is operating ‘off grid’ from the usual forms of monetary exchange. So there is no charge for the teachings at this special training, but you are invited to bring cash gifts to give to express your thanks for the loving gift of the teachings. As a guide to what sort of amount is the appropriate gift to give, you may find it useful to know that when this course is offered in in other locations, the charge for the teachings, including manual is £777 GBP (not including accommodation and meals).
By opening up the training to the gift economy it gives you the chance to feel into the value of these priceless teachings for you. You can give as much as you feel is appropriate, depending upon your own sense of the value of the teachings to you. By going ‘off grid’ from the usual way of charging for such events, we are taking a step in the right direction – dismantling oppressive economic regimes and settling this work very firmly in the field of heart-exchange. The teachings flow from from our hearts to yours and we trust that your hearts will be touched by the teachings and guide you to make the appropriate gift. You can make the gift in cash on the island, direct to the teachers, by placing it on the altar at the end of the course, or if you prefer you can make the gift online through out contribute page on this site. To hear Uma speak more about gift ecomony watch this video: https://youtu.be/4ndCK4VDX-M
Bringing Children: You are welcome to bring your children to enjoy this beautiful setting in Portgual with you. Babies under one are invited free of charge. For children and babies aged between one and five, we ask for a €40 EURO contribution. For children aged 5 -14years we ask you to pay half the full accommodation and food costs (which would be €275). If we end up having lots of children with us, we may organise to have a child-minder, the costs of this can then be shared between the parents